Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

How Do You Present Your Capability to Win Clients?

The field of freelance copywriting can be one of the most lucrative "work-without-a-boss" careers. And you can present yourself and your services to potential clients with little to no cost.

How do you do this? The answer can be summed up in two words: strategic positioning.

To illustrate, there aren't a lot of freelancers who have the connections (not to mention, funds) to place an ad in a well-known newspaper or magazine with a circulation of thousands of readers. And since most freelancers work at home, they prefer taking calls themselves or communicating through email or postal mail.

Let me assure you that even in this modern age when you can just advertise your services through a website, there are still a lot of potential clients who would prefer receiving a press kit from a copywriter.

You might think that you would need to have your logo or letterhead printed on fancy stationery. The truth is, something even as basic as Microsoft Publisher can do the job for you.

Ideally, your press kit must contain your business card, a sales letter, samples of your work, and maybe a brochure or any print ad informing your client about your copywriting services.

When I was just starting out, I came up with a three-fold brochure with "teasers." I would describe "teasers" as bits of information about your freelance services, written in a way that arouses the curiosity of prospective clients without giving away all the details.

Here's what I placed in front of my brochure:

RONALI G. dela CRUZ
Freelance Copywriter

Adding a touch of magic to make 
words sizzle to help my clients 
achieve their desired results faster

Now, by using the "hook," or pitch I wrote above, I can catch the attention of a variety of business owners who have different goals for their respective enterprises (i.e. appealing to a niche market, generating more sales, etc).

In my next articles, I'll talk about writing an effective sales letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment