Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

How to Pitch Your Ideas to Magazine Editors (Part 3)

Today I'll round off my article with the remaining two items in the list of guidelines for pitching ideas to magazine editors. Here they are:

(6.) Attach two article samples.

It would be best to include articles that have been published in other periodicals. This is proof that you've done the hard task of brainstorming, writing, revising, and pitching. Check your hard drive and upload the PDF files of your published articles from your computer. 

If you have articles published online, provide links so the editor can gain easy access. However, make sure that each link is working properly. You wouldn't want to arouse the curiosity and excitement of an editor over your article proposal only to turn him off by directing him to dead or inaccessible links.

(7.) Mention the articles or links you have provided, and end your query with a call to action, but do it politely.

Phrase the closing paragraphs of your query this way:

"I have attached two samples of my previously published articles for your perusal. As soon as I get your go signal, I can have the finished manuscript emailed to you within (insert your time frame).

Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to hearing from you."

Sincerely,

Your Name

In my next few posts, I'll talk lengthily about one of the most common problems experienced by newbie freelance writers: having no published articles to show editors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment